Thursday 9 May 2013

Far Ings NNR 9th May 2013

With the weather forecast being sunny till lunchtime I decided I would get up early to enjoy the sunrise up at the local patch . I set my alarm for 4.30am , but didnt actually get up until 5.30 !!  I had told Mandy I would meet her up at the reserve so quickly got ready , and made sure I had a flask of coffee :)  I drove up to the New centre and found Mandy , she had just been photographing water voles just down the lane , Cool .  We drove up to Ness Farm and had a sit in the hide , where we met Don Davis .  Don left after about half an hour later to go to Bonby as it was pretty quiet in Ness .  Mandy and I had a good natter and catch up when we heard a kingfisher we turned round to see him perched on the tree right in front of the hide , we both grabbed our cameras and rattled off some shots , he only sat there a matter of minutes before flying off across the reed bed :)   That certainly put a big smile on our faces  :))  After an hour or so Mandy went for a wander to do her breeding bird survey so I had a wander about too , Lots of birds singing away but keeping hidden from me :(   We met back up at Ness hide for more coffee and chatting . The male Marsh Harrier was showing well quite a few times and we both got some shots of him .  The swifts and swallows were busy and we had fun trying to photograph then :)  Really enjoyable morning out up at the local patch :)
Marsh Harrier (male)

Marsh Harrier hunting the reed beds 

Male Marsh Harrier

Male Marsh Harrier

Male Marsh Harrier

Marsh Harrier hunting the reed beds

Wren

Little Wren singing away

Little Wren having a good sing

Male Kingfisher

Male Kingfisher

Lesser Black Backed Gull being mobbed by a Black headed Gull

Shelduck

Trying to photograph the Swifts

Gadwall

1 comment: